Don’t Let Your ATO Communications Fall Through the myGov Crack
written by Darren Hagarty
With many of our clients now having a myGov account, we thought it worthwhile to recap on the interaction between myGov and the way in which ATO communications are streamed between you and us.
If you have a myGov account and have linked it with the ATO, then most of your ATO mail will be sent directly to your myGov Inbox, rather than through the post.
The types of ATO communications you may receive in your myGov Inbox include:
- notices, such as notices of assessment
- statements of account
- confirmation and reminder notices
- activity statements or instalment notices.
You will get email or SMS notifications from myGov to let you know when there are new items in your myGov Inbox, but only if you have activated this feature. For some ATO communications, if they are being sent to your myGov account, they will not be sent to us.
We therefore strongly encourage you to:
- Visit your myGov account to check whether in fact you have linked it with the ATO; and
- If you have linked it, activate myGov notifications to ensure that ATO communications do not go unattended. To activate or change your Inbox notification preference, log-in to your myGov account, select the Account Settings icon and select Inbox alerts.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact your PT Partners advisor.
Darren Hagarty is a director of PT Partners.
Image credits: The Canberra Times